Mum’s visit means more experiments with dessert. With her appetite for sweets I love pampering her when she comes home. This time I thought of trying my hand at chocolate mousse but it seems my daughter also takes after her :O . Anyways I tried a simple and basic recipe for the mousse and it came out pretty good. I wish we could get better quality whipping creams in India something good that will not burn a hole in the pockets. Till then have to make do with what I get 😀 .
- 200 gms Dark Chocolate
- 4 Egg yolks
- 3 Tbs Castor Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Whipping Cream plus extra for topping
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar till they are creamy and light in colour.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler on low heat. Once melted mix in the vanilla extract and keep aside.
- Bring 3/4th of the cream to a boil and add this to the yolk and sugar mix in a steady stream while whisking with one hand.
- Now place this mix back on the fire and let it cook on low heat for about 3-4 minutes till it has a custard like consistency. You need to be really vigilant else the egg will get cooked :
- Pass it through a thin sieve into the melted chocolate and mix well .
- Now whip the remaining cream till firm peaks are formed. Add about 1/4th of the cream to the chocolate mix and blend it nicely.
- Finally add the remaining cream and fold in gently till evenly mixed.
- Pour them into individual serving containers and cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Top up with more whipped cream and shaved chocolate before serving .