One of the most popular snacks in a bar or a takeaway, Yangnyeom Tongdak is loved by all young and old. It is often even had as a meal. The Koreans love having this crunchy, hot and sweet snacks with their chilled Maekchu – Beer. Though the really crispy texture comes from chicken with skin, I have made with without skin as mostly all shops in Delhi sell all kinds of meat skinless – I know what a shame but again….. So anyways this does not have that typical KFC crunch coz of the absence of skin, nonetheless it is very tasty and absolutely a must try. Again another point here the main flavour is imparted by Gochujang- Korean red pepper paste, so it is absolutely essential to get the exact taste of this dish 🙂
- 750 gms Chicken wings ( preferable with skin )
- Oil to deep fry
- 1 Tsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- For Marinade :
- 1/4 Cup Cornflour
- 1/4 Cup All purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
For the Sauce :
- 3-4 Tbs Oil
- 3 Tbs finely chopped Garlic
- 3-4 Tbs Gochujang (Korean Red Pepper paste )
- 4-5 Tbs Tomato Ketchup
- 2 Tbs Corn syrup ( if N/A you can use honey )
- 1/2 Tsp Soy Sauce
- Wash and drain the chicken wings and mix it well with all the marinade ingredients using your hands. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours.
- Heat enough oil in a deep heavy bottom wok and fry the chicken in batches for 5-7 minutes. Remove on a kitchen towel. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes and fry them a second time, turning them to evenly brown them . Fry till they are dark brown and crisp. Remove and drain on kitchen towel.
- To make the sauce heat oil in a deep wok. Fry the garlic till aromatic.
- Add the gochujang, ketchup, corn syrup and soy sauce. Stir continuously. Let it bubble at low heat for a couple of minutes. If it dries too much add 1-2 Tbs of water.
- Now add the fried chicken into the sauce and mix well till all the chicekn pieces are evenly coated. Then add the toasted sesame seeds and give a final stir.
- Immediately serve with chilled Beer :p