For the Balls:
- 1 Cup each of finely chopped Green Beans, Cabbage and Green Capsicum
- 1 Cup grated Carrot
- 3-4 Spring Onion bulbs, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tsp crushed Black Pepper
- 2 Tbs AP Flour
- 4-5 Tbs Cornflour
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying the vegetable balls
For the Sauce
- 4-5 Tbs chopped Spring Onion ( white part)
- 1 Tbs finely chopped Ginger
- 2 Tbs finely chopped Garlic
- 2 Tbs finely chopped Celery
- 1-2 finely chopped Green Chillis
- 2-3 Tbs dark Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp freshly crushed Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp White pepper powder
- 2 Cups Vegetable stock ( I used Maggi cubes )
- 1 Tsp Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbs Cornflour (dissolved in 2 Tbs water)
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 stalks of the Green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbs Oil
To make the Veg. Balls :
- Just put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your hands. You need not add water as the moisture from the vegetable is enough to bind the balls. Adjust the consistency by adding more cornflour if needed and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Now gently take small portions of the mixture and roll into gold ball size balls and keep aside.
- Heat enough oil in a heavy bottom deep non-stick pan to deep fry the balls.
Gently put the balls in the oil, maximum 4-5 at a time or less depending on the size of your pan.
- Lower the flame to medium and fry the balls till they are evenly browned from all sides. Remove with slotted spoon and drain in kitchen towel.
To make the Sauce :
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. fry the spring onions,celery ginger and garlic till they are aromatic but not browned too much.
- Add the vegetable stock, black and white peppers and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil and the add the vinegar,sugar and cornflour paste. Lower heat and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes. Adjust consistency of the sauce by adding either water or more stock.
- Adjust the seasoning.Now gently add the fried balls and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for at least half an hour.
- Garnish with the spring onion greens and serve with either noodles or fried rice .