Long pending post…apologies for the same. This dish should have got it’s due in my blog a long time back. This is a go-to stew made in every Korean home, and equally popular in restaurants too. Aged Kimchi is perfect to make this stew- trust me, when the sour aged Kimchi is boiled with the fatty pork the resulting taste is immensely soul satisfying. For best results you need to make it in anchovy stock, which is a base for many Korean stews and actually makes your stews more flavorful and rich.
This is one of the most popular stews in Korea and absolutely deserves to be too. It is quick , easy and absolutely lip smacking. So if you love Korean food then this recipe is a must try for you :D.
- 200-250 gms Pork belly, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs Rice wine
- 1 medium Onion, thickly sliced
- 3/4 – 1 Cup Kimchi, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Tbs Gochujang
- 1-2 Tbs Gochugaro, adjust according to heat preference
- 1 Tsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tsp Oil *
- 2-3 Green Onions
- 20-300 Gm Tofu, cut into cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 Cups Anchovy stock or plain water
- Toasted Sesame seeds to sprinkle
For Anchovy Stock : ( yields about 3 Cups )
- 6-7 dried Anchovy, head and gut removed
- 2 dried kelp ( 2 x 3″)
- 2-3 dried Shitake
- 1/2 Cup Daikon radish ( optional)
- 4-5 cups water
- In a bowl mix the pork slices with rice wine and keep aside.
- Meanwhile slice the onions and mix it nicely with Kimchi, garlic,gochugaro and gochujang.
- Heat oil in a wok and dunk the pork. Stir fry it for 5-7 minutes. ( *This step depends on quality of meat. If the meat you get is really tender and cooks easily skip this step. In Delhi the meat is bit tough hence I follow this step)
- Now add the kimchi mix and mix well. Immediately add the anchovy stock/water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer till the meat is cooked. Finally add the tofu and sliced spring onions , simmer another 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and remove from heat. Serve topped with toasted sesame seeds and finely chopped green part of the green onions.
Anchovy Stock :
- Put all the stock ingredients in a saucepan.
- Boil on high for about 15 minutes and then lower heat and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and store the stock till further use.