- 300-400 gms Chicken with bones
- 1/2 Cup hulled barley
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1/2 cube of Chicken stock ( I used Maggi)
- 1/4 Tsp dried Thyme
- 1/4 Tsp dried Sage
- freshly crushed pepper
- Celery salt to taste
- Water as required
- Boil the barley with about 3-4 cups water and a little salt. Bring to boil and let it simmer till the barley is almost cooked . Remove and keep aside.
- Clean the chicken and put in a heavy saucepan along with 7-8 cups water and bay leaves and bring to boil, skim off the scum and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes till the chicken is cooked.
- Discard the bay leaves, strain out the chicken and remove the bones. Shred them and put it back in the stock along with diced carrots, chicken cube, sage, thyme, black pepper.
- Now boil till the carrot is cooked and add the celery salt to suit your taste and add the pre cooked barley and let it simmer fro another 5-7 minutes. Add lil water if it is too dry.
- Serve piping hot
## Alternately you can add diced celery in place of celery salt and season with regular salt.